Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Top Ten Reasons I'm Not in a Book Club

Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is Top Ten Reasons I'm Not in a Book Club.

  1. I'm a mood reader. I want to read what I want to read when I want to read it.
  2. I'm rebellious. This one is similar to point number 1, but I do not like being told what to read or when. I rebel against it altogether.
  3. I have very little time to read compared to past years of my life and in my experience, book club picks seem to take me longer to read. This might go back to the prior two points as well.
  4. Book clubs seem to go for more books that win literary awards, and while I'm sure they win those awards because they are good, those aren't my normal go-to reads.
  5. Back to not having a lot of time, I really don't have time to go to a meeting once a month to discuss a book that I didn't get around to finishing.
  6. Okay so this point isn't as weighty as some of the other reasons, but I really like to be the first to read books that I recommend to my friends. When I first started reading frequently several years ago this was more of a problem for me. Now all of my friends read at different speeds and of course our interests aren't always in the same books at the same time so we've all branched out a bit from each other, but I have a feeling that I'd want to control all of the book selections for the club. And I don't think that would work.
  7. While I love discussing books that I'm reading--I mean that is the whole point of this blog--I don't always love to engage in conversation with people who might not have enjoyed a book that I loved. The blog puts some anonymity to myself and the commenters who might feel differently than I do.
  8. I don't drink wine.
  9. Because the whole point of having a blog is so that I can discuss books on my terms. Where when how why what...all determined by me.
  10. I'm an introvert and I recharge my batteries alone. Besides, you know there's always that one person--you know the one--who would end up spoiling the book for me. Even if I liked the book they'd end up making me hate it.

What about you? Are you in a book club? What are you reasons for or against them? Let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment